Chippy Life Lessons

I have worked at my local Fish and Chip shop for the past 6 years. I started working a few shifts after school when I was 14 to save some pocket money and since I have increased my hours to weekday lunchtimes, 5 days a week, which I have worked for the last 10 months.

The reason I stayed on this year was because firstly, I needed a job. When I finished my University course last year, and moved back home, I was lazing around doing nothing productive so it filled my time while I worked out what I wanted to do. Then when I got my second job, behind the bar at a gastro pub, it didn’t affect my hours there so I stayed. Then as I auditioned for drama school, and was lucky enough to get onto the reserve list at my top choice, I knew that if I was offered a place last minute, I would need to have savings to be able to accept the place, and working at the fish and chip shop bumped up my income significantly. So it became a waiting game, and every new day I worked, I told myself that the school would call and offer me a place for September and the working two jobs, seven days a week, every week would be worthwhile.

However, I have now decided it is my time to leave.

Now I have loved working there for so many reasons but... There’s always a ‘but’! Over the past year I have seen my friends travelling the world and progressing in their preferred career routes, and I can’t help but be jealous and feel stifled by the small, boring world I see pass me every day. I have a lot to offer, always feeling like I’m falling short of my potential, and I have not been academically challenged in this job, to the point where I started buttering the bread rolls every morning with my left hand, when I am right handed, to improve my co-ordination and strength where it is naturally weaker, just so I can feel that I have gained something from everyday. (You may laugh but I have to say that I have noticed an incredible different in my left hand abilities since!)

Whilst standing watching the high street go by over the last 10 months, I have had a LOT of time to observe and reflect. I see endless regular customers, who each have cemented into their routine to collect their fish and chips on a particular day at a particular time. I watch the same groups of business men and women on their lunch break every day, and a man, who clearly has OCD, count his steps as he avoids the cracks on the pavement. And the friendly man in the Ocado jacket, walking his dog, who has never come in but always smiles and waves at me like we’re old friends. These are to name just a few.

So as a reflection of the hours I have spent there, I thought I’d write a few life lessons I have learned over the last 6 years as a way to say goodbye and bring my time here to a close.  (I always joked I’d write a musical based in a chippy one day… and maybe I will)

1.       People are rude.

As I’m sure anyone who has ever worked in the service industry has experienced, people can be so rude. From picking apart your appearance or your mannerisms, to making sexist, and even racist jokes, there is no end to the conversations I have had at work.

My boss always tells me to calm down as I get annoyed at literally every customer. Quite frankly, if you don’t have the time or the patience to even say “please” and “thank you” then I don’t want you to serve you. And it is so frustrating how many times I’ve had to ask if they wanted their jumbo sausage “plain or battered?” And they’ve replied “yes”… It was an ‘or’ question, not a yes or no. And don’t get me started on the customers that talk straight to the fryer and completely ignore that you exist.

It would have been better if I could’ve accepted that the empathetic, polite and well-spoken population won’t be the target customers for my chippy. If anything, it allows me to fully appreciate the people I meet who are friendly and patient and kind, and most importantly, helps me to realise how I come across, which customers I’d prefer to take after and how I want to be perceived as a customer to other servers.

2.       Hard work is the foundation to everything

Now my mum has always said that we all know that working at the chippy isn’t going to be my life’s work. And there are many days when I think about how counteractive a shift at the chippy is in terms of what I actually want my career to be. I once saw a quote that we have the same 24 hours in the day as all of our idols, and everywhere I would prefer to be is all out there somewhere whilst I am wearing a paper hat.

On the bright side, the foundation of hard work and having to do something that you don’t particularly want to be doing is beneficial and transferable to life in many ways. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that scooping chips is physically exerting and it won’t necessarily come in handy that I can make curry sauce to the perfect consistency, but I have the mental strength and stamina to complete a task to a high standard that is not particularly desirable to me. And that is a skill that I am proud to possess.

3.       Don’t date a guy if he has a girlfriend.

Pretty self-explanatory, but I learned this one the hard way. And it took me way longer to realise that it was not, and was never going to be, a healthy relationship. But luckily I did see sense eventually. Not to make excuses but I was very young, naïve and vulnerable and didn’t know any better. Do not worry though, NEVER again.

4.       There isn’t enough care for the elderly population

Arguably the most important and upsetting thing I have noticed from working there regularly is the deterioration of some of our elderly customers. Many customers can barely stagger out of their mobility scooters and struggle to walk a meter to the counter. It is not unnatural for us to walk out to them to serve them at the door if they are too weak and frail to come to us.

One man used to visit us more than once a week, and he was so unsteady on his feet that he couldn’t control his bladder whilst in the shop. It got to the point where we had to ask him not to come anymore because it took too long to clean up after him. The same man once came out in a rain jacket that clearly had been tucked away unused in a cupboard for many years, and as I was taking his payment, a large black spider crawled over his shoulder and another customer batted it off out the shop for him.

 Another regular customer used to be the doctor of the town, respected and full of pride. But over the last few months especially, his shirts are worn and creased, the bottom of his trousers drag on the floor and his hair is uncombed and unkempt. He has also recently stopped ordering food for his wife too. I know he used to be her carer, I don’t know if he still is, but I know there should be someone caring for him.

There’s also a few regulars who have told me that I’m the first and only person they’ll speak to that day.

These are just a tiny representation of the elderly population and it has highlighted to me the lack of support there is for them in today’s society. And they won’t realise when it’s time to reach out for help. But even if they do, who is there to reach out to?

5.       Being friends with the people you work with is the best

I originally got the job through my friend, and actually my best friend started working there the same time I did. When I started at 14, I did evening shifts with them both, so going to work was just the opportunity for a gossip, but getting paid for it!

The fryers were a bit scary at first as they would joke around with each other quite a bit, but as I grew up and got to know them, we became friends. Although I don’t work with the girls anymore, it has truly made me appreciate the years I spent hanging out with my bestie at work and how much easier it is to pass the time when you are nattering away, as opposed to standing round the front on your own. Time flies when you’re having fun, eh?


This list does not include the endless list of song lyrics I have drilled into my head whist at work by repeating songs over and over, nor the Shakespeare speeches I have learnt by sneaking them in my shirt pocket and chancing a look when I forget the next line. I have also learnt an endless amount about bike riding, range rovers and ice hockey, thanks to the hobbies of the fryer’s I work with.
Now I didn’t create this blog post to complain about the chippy at all as I have honestly loved it there and obviously, I would never spend years somewhere I disliked. Everything must come to an end eventually, and it’s just that now it is my time to move on. My bosses and the company itself were such a fantastic place to work for. (And also their fish and chips are truthfully incredible!)

My boss always said “it’s nice to smile at people every day as your job” as they walk past, just passing the free happiness out into the world. A warming thought that I have remembered over the months.

Everyone has a different story, and I’ve had to accept that the chippy has and will be a large aspect of mine as I pursue the next part of my life.


So thank you to my chippy, over a quarter of my life spent with you, but now I have to venture into the big wide world. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arriving at Camp & First Impressions

Story time: Frodo's Great Escape

Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-changing!